Community Wealth Building for Economic and Environmental Justice
The Green New Deal has the potential to be much more than a programme of centralised economic planning. With effective Community Wealth Building policy, a just transition can help to empower the towns and villages of the UK, offering economic autonomy and stability for local communities. In this report, Grace Brown, Jonty Leibowitz and Neil McInroy of the Centre for Local Economic Strategies (CLES) lay out a plan for local Green New Deals. The focus is on five areas:
- Plural ownership of the economy
- Making financial power work for local places
- Fair employment and just labour markets
- Progressive procurement of goods and services
- Socially productive use of land and property
This report is part of Common Wealth’s Green New Deal report series on devolution.